Friday, September 11, 2009

Week 3: Reading Response

Machtelt Garrels. “Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide”

After reading Garrels’ article I get the sense that Linux developers put a large focus of their time on compatibility. Linux was developed in order to create a compatible operating system and now developers are working on ways to make in easy to use as a workstation while still focusing on its compatibility with other computers/hardware/applications.

In the ‘Is Linux Difficult’ section of the document it states that Linux is easy to use but that this sentiment is often mostly felt by “power users and programmers” who have a strong relationship to Linux. I don’t really understand this operating system, even after learning more about it through entry level programming/computer classes and casual conversations with users of the system in college. Even though people I came into contact with always praised the system for similar reasons as stated in the article (that it’s stable, easy to use, etc) it just never clicked with me for some reason.

Later in the Garrels’ article provides a list of companies who provide products for non-experience users. I had never heard of these companies before and this may be something I may want to try in the future. I appreciate the attempts these companies are trying to make in order to expand Linux use while steel leaving dedicated users content.

The list of pros and dedicated audience prove that Linux is a substantial system however it’s extremely difficult to switch people over from their norm and this seems to be the next barrier for Linux.

“What is Mac OS X”

I’ve only used a MAC in computer lab or in the context of a class requiring them. I’ve never owned one personally although from time to time I wish that I did own one. I like their appearance and I think they are easy to use; however, I haven’t used them on a daily basis and I’m not sure if my good relationship with them would persist after doing so. Most people have problems or troubles with certain computers that may affect their feelings towards a particular operating system but this doesn’t necessarily represent the universal experience.

I enjoyed how the author of this article stated that it wasn’t an advertisement and that he wasn’t trying to convert anyone to Mac. Instead the text of the article focuses on information that users and potential users may find interesting about Mac OS X.

I found some parts of this article a little choppy and difficult to understand, such as the history section, Architecture of Mac OS X section, and part related to Mac OS X programming description. I wish the contributor would have gone into more detail, but I understand that he would rather provide a brief insight and offer new information to serve as a quick reference guide. It made me want to learn more about the system.


Paul Thurott “An Update on the Windows Roadmap”


This was interesting to me because I recently purchased a new laptop after experiencing problems with my old one. It was nothing related to the operating system. It was a problem with the physical laptop. I have always used Windows on my personal daily computers. I don’t necessarily have any predisposition towards the system it’s just what I have always used.

My new computer has Vista on it which I was initially nervous about after hearing word of mouth reviews about it. However, I’m still learning the ins and outs of the system and laptop.

This Windows letter provides some information but it also seems more of an “advertisement” than the other articles this week. The letter attempts to point out the flaws and advantages of Vista and updates on Windows 7. Maybe I misread the undertones of the letter but it also seems to try to create/maintain the dedication with its customers that are present with Mac and Linux users.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the comparison of Mac/Linux users versus Windows. My friends who are Mac users are constantly praising its performance, while Windows users such as myself are often using it out of habit because its what we are used to. I still haven't gotten Vista because I've been wary - the negative reviews from friends. I know you're a new Vista user, but what would you say are the best and worst aspects of using this system?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the appearance of Vista. I like some of the additional programs that come with it, like the Windows Media Center and Calendar, etc. I haven't had any problems with it (at least not yet). For the most part they have made things pretty straight forward and organized with Vista.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, so I guess I spoke to soon. I had a problem with sound on my laptop today (it wouldn't play) and I had to keep restarting the computer to turn it back on. I went on Microsoft's website and I guess it is a problem with Vista. I downloaded a 'fix-it' patch and it seems to be working fine now. But still, ugh.

    ReplyDelete