Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week 2: Reading Response

‘Personal Computer Hardware’

This was a good comprehensive explanation of the computer hardware. It provides a good foundation and reference for the class and the other readings.

‘Moore’s Law’ - Wikipedia

I had to read this over twice before understanding everything included on the page. I understood the beginning paragraphs which focused on the history, construction and explanation of Moore’s Law. However, the later paragraphs that tried to apply it and give examples left me a little confused and required me to read them over a couple of times.

‘Digitization: Is It Worth It?’

Even though I disagree with many of Stuart D. Lee’s points in the article I still thought his ideas were well argued and learned from reading his stance on digitization. Lee is obviously able to acknowledge the advantages to digitization but he is concerned with many consequences including cost and the affect it will have on a library’s collection. However, I don’t think the best way to deal with libraries interested in digitization projects is to dismiss them simply because money, man-power, training, or organization is not sufficient to perform the process. It’s a duty to explore the best possible way to serve the public. The best way to do this is to not only seek out new digitization projects, provide them with the support in order for the process to be done correctly but also to provide support to libraries unable to complete a digitization project. Equal support should be given to all institutions in order encourage further improvements in the dissemination of information and materials to the public.

“A Few Thoughts on the Google Books Library Project”

I don’t know a lot about the Google Books Project. While the article by Smith provided good insight into the project and he has positive feelings about this it, I still want to learn more about the project. While I’m a person who thinks that the digitization of the book is a good thing I don’t really agree with Smith’s statement about how the book would “reach obsolescence if not easily accessible through digital technology”. He makes this statement when discussing a 19th century book made available through digitization. I’m a fan of digitization but I don’t agree that its existence will make the physical book obsolete as a result. The book will never become obsolete. Books and other similar materials serve a needed purpose in society for the people who use it on a daily basis. Digital projects also provide similar advantages to society and in terms of access. I do not feel that one makes the other insignificant even as technology advances and use becomes more widespread.

No comments:

Post a Comment